Saturday, November 22, 2008

Just an Observation


Its funny because as I was reading the blog during work (yeah that's bad, but when people aren't calling in there's really not much to do), I notice that you guys do a lot of "food reviews". I don't know why but it just cracks me up. Like you guys should be like critics for restaurants or for people to go out the the restaurant...if that's the case I can do it too!

So I went to Kabuki the other night. Its a sushi place (go figure look at the name). Its one of the restaurants located in the middle of the "high roller/big balla" mall aka Victoria Gardens. Its funny because any sushi place I go to I compare it to Happy Sumo. Anyways back to Kabuki....

The place is pretty neat, but I do have to say it isn't a very spacious place. The ironic thing about this place is that its owned by Koreans, who would've thought? Anyways..it has the asian inspired, but the ceiling is what tripped me out. Its like different, I guess you could say heights, but yeah pretty Modern looking place. But like you go to a place for atmosphere...well I don't. I'm all about the food of course, and that's all that matters.
So sushi selection I would say is like any other sushi place. You know pick whatever from the bar. I do have to say that Happy Sumo had more different types of rolls, but this place is like any normal sushi place. You know have the regulars...like a spicey tuna roll, spider roll. I am a little disappointed because they don't have any signature rolls. I think that's what makes the sushi place "memorable", like you can't get that role unlesss you go to that certain place, you know what I'm saying??? Yeah anyways there's nothing real special. But since its in an "expensive" area they'll always have business.

Straight to the food. Now for appetizers, the give you complimentary edamame, which I freakin' love, I could snack on those things forever...ugh...anyways I've become a fan of soft-shell crap and so I always get a spider role. Its sooooo good, and then I had a regular Cali roll. Then I shared a plate of ribs, and its the type of ribs that asians use....I forget what they're called, but yeah that. It was pretty good, it had that charred taste to it, like it was barbequed. MmmMMMm. Then for desert there was mochiko. It was ice cream balls surronded by this rice flourish type of dough. I love mochiko, especially when Dad makes it or Lola (my grandma).

The service was pretty good. All the workers or majority of them are asian, so for the most part they're courteous and on top of their tables getting food and what not. Its funny because the server looked like she was 12, lol Like our cousin de ette... or Lois is her name.

So overall as a "rating" its okay, but really you can cut better deals with sushi somewhere else with the same amount of quality and such, but on the other hand, I didn't pay for it :p

4 comments:

Mrs. Boojwa said...

It looks to me like its more of a place for aesthetic and appearance than it is for actual food. I'm all about satisfying my palate than my eyes when it comes to dining...

kamaile said...

so what's a good place to eat sushi then? I want good sushi when we come for Christmas. Mostly to have something to compare UT sushi to.

The McLaws' said...

Well as far as a good sushi place...I don't know, I don't eat sushi that often, maybe I should check out reviews in the area.

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Go SHO SUSHI!!! :)